When one window closes, others open...

Have you ever wondered why your path crossed with another person and you find so many similarities and hit it off so well? In my New Entrants Training programme, it is quite amazing to me that although a lot of the new Relationship Managers were much younger than me, I actually hit it off quite well with a number of them. Then it suddenly just dawned upon me that when some windows close, others open.

As time goes on, I have realised that forcibly trying to help or be nice to people is pointless if the person is not willing to take in your kindness. Relentless giving only shows a sign of weakness which is the lack of self-esteem and the need to gain attention. Along the years of learning buddhism, I have learnt to let go of such emotional attachments to relationships.

More recently, I have a number of close colleagues who have decided to either transfer to another team or leave the company to pursue their dreams. I have friends who decided to start their own prawn mee store, their own cafes. The more number of years into working life, the more immune I am to departures. Perhaps it is just simply because I am now experienced enough to understand that people leave for a reason and if fate allows it we will keep in touch, if not, I wish them all the best - no hard feelings.

But one thing I realised is that when a window shuts on you, another will open. You will get to know new friends, bringing in new experiences, perspectives, and inspiration. I describe my first two weeks of training as inspiring because I am rather intrigued by the different motivations of people in my class to make a switch to working as an investment sales person. People from different walks of life - a tuition teacher, an assistant director, two ex-policemen, and a fresh grad - all of them are willing to start this role out from scratch.

Wealth management is certainly an enticing career for many because of stories that they have heard from friends. But more importantly, among the new entrants, I sense that there really a few that are not just enticed by the money and "poshness" of being in banking but also the happiness of helping people manage their wealth. But, I truly think that those that tend to do better are not merely sales people but those that really care for their clients and as a result build long-term and sustainable relationships with them.

CC

Comments

Popular Posts