Road to Recovery (Part 8)

The value of patience

I have always been an impatient person. I want things to be done quickly and efficiently. At times, I multi-task to get everything done on time. I know that it is fine to take things slow occasionally but because of my quick tempered nature, I just want to make sure things get done fast. As such, I feel that phrases like "more haste, less speed" or in Mandarin "欲速则不达" doesn't really appeal to me. More haste, more effiency, things get done faster.

However, this fall and injury has taught me that it is true that we should take time to think and ponder. Time to recover and in the meantime try to appreciate the time given to rest and reflect on what we could have done to live a better and more meaningful life.

Resting on medical grounds has made me feel very guilty. I am uncomfortable that I am being paid to rest at home. That's why I decided to go to work prematurely. However, that did not help in the healing of the fracture. Instead, in the normal case probably I will be on the crutches for 6-8 weeks but now I have to be on the crutches for 10 weeks - a whole two and half months. But oh well, I have to accept this as a mistake on my part of not taking good care of myself and being too brave and aggressive, starting work when I should be resting at home.

It's another eight days to go before my "final x-ray" like what the doctor said. I really just need to rest my leg well and take good care of it. I hope to be really up in action soon but in the meantime also remember all the valuable lessons learnt along the way in my road to recovery. And most importantly the value of being patient when waiting for recovery.

CC

Comments

Popular Posts