Road to Recovery (Part 6)

Motherly love

I am coming to the sixth week of recovery from my injury. When I look back, I suddenly felt that nothing is more important that the TLC that my family that has given me throughout this period - particularly from my mother and my mother-in-law. I don't know why but since young I have never felt much of this kind of love. I felt deprived of motherly love actually because I was extremely independent and very stubborn at times, especially when facing opinions from elders. Yes, I was a hardworking A* student at school and was very competitive but down inside I am actually someone that's more rebellious.

But then again, as I grow older, my mindset began to change. Particularly, my mother-in-law and my buddhist teacher (both women in their 60s) highlighted to me the importance of respecting the elders, and that the comments given by the elders are good to understand and access before passing judgement that they are unreasonable and old-fashioned.

During the injury, I was desperate for help from my family members. I couldn't move around, I felt lost, and as much as I would love to occupy my time with simply watching TV, sleeping and blogging - I felt extremely bored. In fact, there were many people who asked me how I felt. Actually, I did not feel much pain - the worst moment was of course after the operation - given the hideously unbearable after-effects of the anaesthesia. But it was more of the boredem and unhappiness surrounding the inability to live a normal life that made me upset.

But it was really both my mothers, my mother and my mother-in-law that were most concerned over my well-being. For instance, fetching me to the hospital and back. Making sure I had enough food and help during the day. Giving me comments on what I should do to ensure a good recovery. I feel bad actually bothering them, knowing that I really did not care much for them when they were not well last time aside from the occasional visits and asking them how they were feeling.

I really feel a strong sense of gratitude towards both my mothers. And, now that I feel that way, I suddenly feel that I also want to provide the same level of care and concern to my child, if I am fortunate enough to have a child in the future. And filial piety and respect for elders has a new meaning for me, when we were younger, we took everything for granted. But as we grow older, and we have been through more life experiences. It is really important to forgive what has happened before and move on towards a good relationship with your elders. In that way, then one will advance as a person spiritually.

Amidst the boredom and unhappiness experienced as I fell down, I have learnt too many things about myself, my family, my health to waste my life on unimportant matters. To live life to the fullest is not just about being happy and concentrating on one-self but to also try to understand and improve myself constantly on how you treat others so that you are able to absorb these good values and be a better person.

CC

Comments

Popular Posts