Living life to the fullest

It's about seven months since the operation on my left ankle and I must say that the whole experience changed me quite a bit.

Firstly, I really cherish the mobility that I am enjoying right now. Being able to move around on my own, and being independent is a blessing. Secondly, during this ordeal, I have mended relationships, reconnected with friends, I feel blessed that these are people that are really there for me when I need company. Thirdly, I finally understood how to achieve a real sense of work-life balance.
 

Many people say that the "true secret" of being successful in life is working hard and grabbing opportunities when they come. Everyone is so preoccupied with the notion of being successful in life. They grade success through how many properties you have, how luxurious a car, how much money you have in your bank account. But people who are successful may not be happy people. They go around with a frown, lamenting over having only two properties while their friends have three. They complain about things that they should have done but didn't do. They doubt people. They doubt people's intentions and don't really trust people. These people are not really happy even if they are successful. They remind themselves of how much they have achieved in life by basking in the glory of the past.

I challenge the existing definition of being successful in life.

Being successful in life could also mean being happy living in the present and enjoying life as it is....living life to the fullest in your own way. And, I don't mean it in a terribly ambitious way - like trying to save the Earth or find out a cure for cancer or AIDs. I mean to slowly influence people around us in a positive way - to embrace success as the way of achieving work-life balance and living in the present.

See next post.
CC

Comments

Popular Posts