My journey to spirituality

Buddhism is a journey and the destination is to attain spirituality, devoid of worldy attachments.

These two days I began extensive discussions with my mother-in-law and my buddhism teacher about finding the way to Buddha when one gets lost. More often than not, when we face trouble at work or in relationships, we seek our friend's for opinion. We tend to magnify the problem to such an extend that our lives evolve around one particular problem. In the end, the problem multiplies and turned harmful like a mutated virus that was harmless in the beginning.

It was a pleasant two years for me ever since I changed by job. But as the saying goes, it never rains but it pours. My Dad fell very sick and stopped working as a taxi driver, I have been supporting him emotionally and financially since, bearing the burden of both my parent's family and my own. I have been experiencing some difficulties on other aspects of my life as well. I have not been very healthy lately, intermittently falling sick every other week. Life is tough. Not all the time, hopefully, but it is tough a large part of the time (if you are less fortunate) and lesser times (when you are more fortunate).

But, one key lesson learnt is that, I will always have my Buddha to guide the way. I don't idolise buddhist teachers or monks. In fact, I don't believe in charismatic people any more. I have experienced enough to understand that charismatic people may be able to influence others but may not be good people at heart. In fact, some of them know that they are good at influencing others and lead others blindly. Even if they are wrong, their followers will defend them till the end. That is the scary part. I have met a follower of a leader (non-religious) that speaks up for his leader even if he is obviously wrong. Perhaps, he is in self-denial just like Kong Hee's followers who agreed that "Project Crossover" worked well with the skimpy dressing and distasteful dancing in MTVs. Forgive me Kong Hee supporters, I think that it may not be the wisest move to follow a relgious leader blindly - shouldn't your true leader be God?

My true spiritual leader is the Buddha himself. And the teachings that I follow are Buddhist teachings. Teachings that ask me to be good, do kind deeds and think positively. And of course, there has to be a messenger/an effective coach that teaches me all these. But that teacher is not necessary a Buddhist leader, it can be members of my family or friends. And, after being taught all these, I digest, think through and learn. I do not blindly follow. And, I share these thoughts with my Christian colleagues, who feel the same way - that we should not blindly follow but also think through and reach a conclusion for ourselves.

Religion is a sensitive topic for many. And, yes I am proud to be a Buddhist. But my teacher said something that I would never forget when approaching/interacting with friends/colleagues of a different religion. She said: "As long as the religion teaches good, does good and people are gaining from the teachings, do not frown upon what was taught". This message made me feel very enlightened. Regardless of race, language or religion - we should respect each other's right to choose what we truly want in life.

Follow the religion and good teachings, not just the leader.

Comments

Popular Posts