10 things I would say to Toto if she knows human language

I never imagined that I would be a dog owner. When Toto came into my life, I actually regretted getting a dog. I have a heavy work schedule and it just does not help that I have to teach her to pee and poo at the right place, feed her, clean her ears, bring her to the vet and accompany her day in day out. I was frustrated then by this white fur ball. But as time goes on, I have grown extremely attached to her. In fact, I actually gained confidence after she entered my life.

If you watch Dog Whisperer (on National Geographic) Cesar Milan always says that the owner has to be a "pack leader" for the relationship with the dog to work. I think that it's true! Everyone always praises that Toto is a very obedient and well-behaved dog. And, I am very proud of that. But, it was hard work convincing her (my own dog) to listen to me and be obedient. I try very hard to make sure that she listens to me and pays attention to me, if not - she will get punished. But, after succeeding in making her listen to me or be obedient, I feel a huge sense of satisfaction!


She has taught me a lot in life. She has taught me the importance of work-life balance, the importance of a family unit (Edwin, me and her). She has taught me that life is not all about work but also about the togetherness and peace that comes after that. My happiest moment of the day is really when Edwin, me and Toto sit on the sofa, watching television together. And yes, she watches television - her favourite shows include Taiwnese and Hong Kong dramas. If I can communicate to her in human language, here are ten things I would tell her.

1) Thank you for welcoming me back every single day after a hard day at work. You make me feel it's worth the while.

2) It is amazing that you know that I need a snuggle (even licks on my hand) when I am sad and could not sleep.

3) I am sorry I can't do anything to stop thunder and lightening but don't worry, I can hug you to sleep.

4) Don't eat too much. I know you are trying to imitate my eating habits. But, hey I am overweight and you are a sexy chick - stay that way.

5) I love it when you "lounge" on the floor and when you stand up again, your chin becomes squarish. It is so cute.

6) When Daddy and I say that you are a "nice cute", we really mean that you are not only nice and obedient but also lovable and cute.

7) I know that you love - carrots, pandan cake, potato chips - but you can't have them all the time. So, please stop being so greedy.

8) Stop humping on bolsters please. You look so adorable when you do it but it gets a bit wierd after some time.

9) Please be a happier dog and stop that pout on your lips. No presents from Santa Claus if you keep pouting. Why can't you always pant and smile like other Shih Tzus.

10) Thank you for letting me understand what a family unit really means. Without you, we won't have family outings to Botannic Gardens, East Coast Park, Hort Park, Punggol Park, Sentosa etc. - you made me more active and adventurous.

Alas, I am really glad to have Toto in my life. She is turning three years old in November and I am already feeling sad with the thought that she will get old in 10-12 years time and pass away. But I will cherish her while she is around and love her as much as I can.

CC.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Writing is good mental exercise. Do write more :)
Mah Ching Cheng said…
Thanks Anonymous!

Popular Posts