Being contented and happy-go-lucky

When I look around, I realised that the happiest people around me are those that are easily contented. Among friends, out of ten friends, there will be at least eight complaining about something. "I would love to have a richer husband.", "My pay sucks!", "I hope to have a bigger house, but the prices are so expensive." All of us tend to have complains about life almost ALL THE TIME...but not a moment there during these "chit-chat complain session" do we actually ponder on how lucky we already are.

Contentment is not easy. And discontentment will often drive a person to work harder, to do more and be more innovative. But why can't we be contented and happy while we move towards our ultimate goal?

The amazingly true fact of life, which is also very simple to understand is - the happiest people are not the richest, the most powerful, the guy with the largest house, but the person that is contented with what he or she has. I am not saying that now you go ahead and be contented by selling your house and then use the proceeds and donate to charity. What I am saying here is, we should be happy and contented with what we have now and then slowly, calmly move towards our goals and ambition.

I am contented if I can be left alone during my leave days and weekends unless it is something that is really urgent. I deserve a good rest, and I think many people also do. I am pro work-life balance, I am very inspired by the speech during the National Day Rally because it's true that women my age, married, working full-time, need the respect from co-workers and bosses on work-life balance. When I work, I will work serious, I will work hard. I love to work, I am slanted towards being a workaholic actually. But even a workaholic like me wants work-life balance - that is to have time to spend with family and friends at 7.21pm on Saturday night, rather than replying to a message directing me to open up work email and reply the person...that is really seriously not urgent (not life and death).

Lesson learnt, contentment is simple, I am contented living a life that I can have my own time during non-office hours. I don't mind working my ass off for 12 hours a day on weekdays but I need my rest time, time with family, time with friends, time with my husband...and I am really not asking for much.

CC

Comments

Popular Posts