Road to Recovery (Part 3)

Staying at home

The part that was most unbearable to me during this whole ordeal was having to stay at home. If I was on leave for a week or two, I would pack myself with a lot of activities - gym, meeting up with friends, pedicure and manicure, facial, etc. etc. But because I can't walk, all I can do is to hop around with the walker, so it made it very difficult for me to go out and remotely have any fun.

What's worse was - I am the sort who likes to move around and communicate with others. By not being able to do so, it makes me rather bored. But I learnt a lot during this experience. Out of desperation, I ended up surfing the web to find ways to do things that I usually will like to do. These are a couple of new discoveries:

1) Home massage - it's really very expensive and I wouldn't recommend doing it for a long time but I got to know a pretty good home masseuse that does body slimming massages.

2) Online shopping - Qoo10 is the best cheap online shopping page but there are also others that I go to just to curb the shopping urge.

3) Motor scooter - not being able to independently travel is really sad. So, I decided to rent a motorized wheelchair but its like a mini scooter. Everyone is curious about this new transportation device and stares at it out of curiousity but I am not really that embarrassed because I am being independent and not depending on others to wheelchair me around.

4) Applications - I went to playing my favorite games when I was a teenager. For instance, Othello, Chinese Chess, Pool and card games.

5) Reading about Buddhism - I find it both enlightening and interesting to read "The path to freedom" written by the Dalai Lama.

It's a mere two weeks to go before I can start to go to work...hope that I really will have a speedy recovery like what most friends and colleagues wishes me.

Lesson: It's truly pointless to lament over the current situation and boredom. It's definitely more productive to think of ways to make better use of the time that I have to improve myself and make myself feel better. Feeling positive helps to improve my mood and probably hasten the recovery process.

My husband kindly brought me to see "Silver Lining Playbook" I had quite a bit of stares when I was hopping along with my walker but I don't know why my determination to watch a movie and live a normal life was so strong that I didn't mind the stares and vigorously/energy consuming hopping...

CC

Comments

Popular Posts