Road to recovery (Part 1)

On New Year's Eve, something rather unfortunate happened to me. I fell down at the car park in Ngee Ann City and couldn't pick myself up afterwards. For friends who heard my face-to-face account of this accident, they have this surprised look when they knew that it was "just a fall", the ground wasn't wet, I wasn't walking very fast, and I wasn't on the phone or texting anyone. It was the beginning of a sad episode for me, for afterwards, I had very little choice but to stay homebound for quite a number of weeks.

I fell at one of the car park lots, which was extremely dangerous, which meant that if there is a car reverse parking and the driver did not see me, I would have been crushed. Luckily I moved to the side of the parking lot. I thought to myself right after the fall - it should be fine, just a fall and I could pick myself up and celebrate New Year's Eve. I had a lot on my mind - my new responsibilities, exciting opportunities, my brother's pre-university education, my Dad's sickness and many more. But I couldn't pick myself up. I tried to stand up using my right leg but I cannot move my left leg...not at all.

I panicked while several passer-bys walked pass. There was a guy that walked pass me and tried to lift me up but I was in so much pain that I cannot lift myself up at all. He went to call the security guards in the building to help me. While he was at it, there were a couple more passer-bys that walked pass and helped me out. When they helped me to the rubbish bin to sit, I almost felt like fainting. In the end, I was sent to Raffles Medical Clinic to see the doctor who said that she cannot do much because it seems like a serious fracture. I had to be sent to the hospital - I opted for the nearest hospital - Mount Elizabeth.

When I was at the hospital, I still thought to myself: "it should be fine, it is just a fall, they will put a cast on me and I can go home soon." To my horror, when the othopedic doctor saw me he shook his head and said " that was a nasty fall and you have a serious crack near your ankle, you have to go through surgery". My hopes of celebrating New Year's Eve were slashed.

Lesson: Never try to walk around in a car park with brand new shoes, it is safer to walk in the shopping center because the ground has more friction and there are more handles all around for you to lean on if you suddenly slip and fall. More people are around to help you too.

CC

Comments

Popular Posts