Making Life An Interesting & Exciting Experience

Have you ever wondered what's it like to be someone else? To be something out-of-this-world, say a travelling painter, a potter, a super star, a wrestling star, a professional diver... I don't really wonder about all these. I just simply wish to be a writer. A writer that talks about anything under the sun but is influencial. I wish to be a writer that makes people's lives lit up. Someone that people look up to for but yet a humble writer. Thinking and trying to change the world with words. Is that a simple dream?

Yes and no. In this blog, which probably no one reads. I am able to fulfil part of this dream. I studied literature for 'o' levels. It was my favourite subject because I could imagine and think about how characters in stories feel and think. I imagine myself in their place. Say Macbeth, why were the thoughts behind his mind when he killed his step-father. I read a lot when I was young from Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, Charles Dickens to DH Laurence. I loved the stories I read. I loved DH Laurence because of the dark thoughts behind the stories aside from the romance. I could feel his emotions in his writings. If you read between the lines you can actually see the feelings he had for his mother and his life. I could go on and on...but I don't show off all these to people...just saying and saying I read this and that...I just read them on my own...just one thing that happened today that made me a little hurt, one person said:

' Huh, ha ha you studied literature? Are you sure?'

Hello! What do you mean by that? I might not be the most eloquent person that you know. But I enjoy and love literature. I think that these kind of people just simply demean people that do not actually speak fluent English. I felt insulted and demeaned. I felt that people of all walks of life have a right to enjoy literature, to enjoy reading...I might not do the best in these subjects, but I enjoy and chose it. Actually, the history behind the taking of my literature subject in secondary school is quite dramatic.

We (me and my two friends) actually have choices to do history and geography, in fact all of our classmates took these two humanities. But we decided to do literature together. We even had to go to another class just to take literature lessons because there were only a total of 5 of us (including two other persons). We are often the odd ones out, sitting behind the class, chit chating. But I enjoyed every moment of my lit class. But my teacher (this is a sore spot), told me to change to history or geography because she thinks I can score B3 or B4 in these subjects whereas she doesnt think I could score well in literature. I proved her wrong, I passed and it wasnt just a pass. I did well to my standards. I think we shouldnt just pursue the subject that you can score best, we should pursue what we love and are interested in.

Imagine a world with everyone just looking for money without regards to what they are actually interested in. Where is the passion in the work? Where is the conviction? I guess that is the reason why people are so unhappy when doing their work. Because they are not interested in what they are doing.

My Literature score wasnt good. Nevertheless, I was relentless. I decided to work really hard and I was genuinely interested in what I was studing. I went on to get Certificate of Merit (top 5%) in Diploma in Banking & Finance and First Class Honours Degree in Degree in Banking & Finance (4 times deans list and top 5% of cohort). I am in a job that I truly like. I have no regrets.

Hopefully these biased people that looks at appearances to measure a person can stop doing it because they are definitely not very fair.

Popular Posts